Friday 1 June 2012

Snowfall



I watched in horror as the giant creatures unfurled from beneath the snow.  Beings of unfathomable size that would dwarf even the tallest buildings unfolded themselves, standing upright in a salute to the arctic sun.  Human in shape, they stretched vast limbs as they unfurled themselves, snow dropping in small avalanches to reveal a body of lichen encrusted rock.

Deafened by the noise of grinding stone, I turned to my companion and screamed at him to run away as glowing eyes sought us out amongst the moguls.  He stood, transfixed, and I ran to him, shaking him by the shoulders.  He stared blankly at the titanic creatures, clutching the ancient relic in his hands so tightly that even through thermal gloves blood began to seep, dripping down the blade and forming scarlet stalactites along its length.  I slapped him, hard, across the face.

"MOVE!"

Something appeared to wake inside him, and he stirred, dropping the knife.  He looked at me, and then behind me, eyes widening.  I turned in time to see the nearest of the beasts bringing down a gargantuan hand to where we stood, and leapt into the space between the shadows of fingers, dragging my companion with me.  We tumbled to the ground, rolled, and crashed into stone steps.  I hauled my companion to his feet, and we ran around the altar, back towards the small settlement we landed at two days ago.  Towards the boat and, perhaps, safety.

Running, panting, I looked over my shoulder to see the titans lumbering after us.  The nearest stopped, brought up one gargantuan hand, and held it palm forward.  I had just enough time to see a swirling vortex in its centre before my eyes were filled with a blinding light, and I felt the air about me ignite.



[ Image Credit & Copyright: Niccolò Bonfadini ]

No comments:

Post a Comment